Some Reference Material

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My 10mm WWII experience

When I decided to return to miniatures gaming after a long absence, I played with a number of different projects, most of which never really worked for me.  As a part of that process I decided to look at WWII.  Initially I was thinking 1:300 or so since that was the big scale here when I was last considering an army.  I was diverted from that by a chance purchase of a stack of 1:144 Dragon  Panzerkorps kits of Stugs.  I was rapidly hooked.  I found that my half-century old eyes could see the 10mm models about as well as my teenage eyes had been able to make out the 1:300 figures; and the figures are still cheap enough that I could afford both sides of a conflict.

I rapidly discovered that 10m (which is also described as 12mm), like most wargames "figure height masquerading as a scale" measurements, is a pretty vague term.  Effectively, a single army when carefully assembled can include everything from largish 1:144 down to  "American n-scale" 1:160.  I generally describe the "scale" as 1:150±10.

As I post here I will try to illustrate some of what I have discovered, as well as providing links (where I have them) for the various manufacturers I use.  I have just started organizing my models into units based on 1-stand = 1-platoon TOEs I have obtained from various sources, so the first few posts at least will feature "parade reviews" of those units I have organized completely.

A key part of the plan here is not only organizing the formations but labeling every stand with its place in the TOE. This is stand A, 1st Company, 1st Battalion (Germans used Roman numerals for some levels), 252nd Infantry Regiment.  Its is type "Infantry" and the little flag (if I use rules at some point that call for it) indicate a company command stand.
Once complete, labelled and magnetized, each unit will be stored in a Belgian cookie tin with as authentic a label as I can muster.











No comments:

Post a Comment